Sunday, November 11, 2012

Please Don't Drink and Sew

This is a public service announcement.

Friends, don't do what I did.  I'm not even sure what I did, actually.  I don't remember consuming alcohol at 9 am Saturday morning.  But from the looks of things, I must have been drinking.  Heavily.

Here are the pajama pants I made for Abby this weekend.  I didn't have quite enough fabric to make them as long as they needed to be, so in all my clever-ness, I thought I'd sew a little, um, let's call it "contrasting" fabric on to elongate the legs.


I was even feeling a little confident.  I thought, "hey!  I could do a tutorial on this!"  Can you tell what is wrong with this picture?  I think when I learned to sew, one of the first things I learned was, you sew the fabric with RIGHT sides together.


I mean, come on!  And it didn't even hit me that I'd done it wrong until I opened it up and saw the backside of the fabric, just laughing at me. 

So at this point, the tutorial is out the window.  I'm just trying to salvage these pj's.  I had Abby try them on, and they were just barely long enough, but I knew that after one washing, they'd be too short.  My girl gets about an inch taller each week - that doesn't help!

So I thought, OK, I'll make cute little ruffles and sew them onto the legs.  That should be cute.  Well, you know when you KNOW something, but you can't, like, access it from your brain?  Like someone's name?  Or a bit of Seinfeld trivia?  I mean, I KNEW that I knew how to sew a ruffle on, but I just...couldn't...quite...remember how.  I did one leg.  And then I remembered how, and did it the RIGHT way on the second leg.  Let's compare!





So after marveling for a while over the "Tale of Two Pant Legs," I set my frankenstein-y creation aside.  I needed time to think about what the heck I was going to do to salvage them.


Later that night, Abby came leaping downstairs, all aglow, in her new pj pants.  She'd found them, put them on, and was LOVING THEM!!! 

picture taken on my phone - don't judge!
She said the ruffles made them "extra swishy."  :)

You just never know!

P.S. I wasn't drinking, even though all evidence points to the contrary.  I don't usually start hitting the bottle till around 10 am, and these pants were made at least an hour before that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment