Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Hello again!

Hi.  I couldn't resist.  :)

I have gone through my "trendy cutesy fakey craft blog cleanse" and I feel much better now.  I hardly did any blog reading at all, in fact - even the ones that don't annoy me.  The whole blog world is such a phenomenon...it's great because it gives you a chance to connect with people you would never otherwise meet in real life. And I've met some really neat people online.  But on the other hand, it's easy to get sucked in and get your "real life" and your "blog life" confused.  Kinda scary - like that book, was it 1984?  Or Brave New World?  Where the woman would talk to her "family" on the screen...clearly I need to re-read some of those books from high school! 

Well, whatever.  The important thing is, now that it's yard sale season again, the temptation to bombard my facebook friends with my weekly loot is way too strong!  And boy did I score big this past weekend!  More on that later...

First a few updates:

1. I made a couple of new years resolutions this year, and so far, have actually stuck to them.  It's a miracle!  I think the lesson here is to AIM LOW.  The first one was to learn how to crochet.  Did it.  Thanks, YouTube!  That was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.  I'm "working on" an afghan.  It's stalled right now because I ran out of yarn (from Knitpicks) and the colors I needed weren't available, and even though they are available now, I haven't gotten around to ordering them yet. 

My other resolution was to read 36 books this year - about 34 more than I read last year. That one was a little loftier than the crocheting.   But I got tired of not being able to have a semi-intelligent conversation about books.  So I joined a book club, and that has been a blast!  Not only am I reading more, but I've met some great new people, and the food is always good.  :)  Right now I'm reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  It's gut-wrenching, and I have a feeling I haven't even gotten to the truly gut-wrenching parts yet.  I found a site called Goodreads, which I really like.  Is anyone else on there?  Let's be friends!  Here's my profile.

2. DH & I have been working on gussying up the house.  We started with the sad, neglected bedroom, and now I just love it. 
Can you spot the low-budget items in this room?  :)  Leave a comment and we'll see!

It's not totally done; I want to get something on the wall above the bed, and a rug on the floor.  Oh and a new light fixture.  

3. I got a new hairstyle:

4. I joined a gym this winter...which has been going great!  I don't quite look like Jillian Michaels...yet...but I can tell that I'm so much more in shape than I used to be.  I get there 3-4 days a week.  I'd like it to be more. 

5. I'm still nannying for the "7 under 7" and that is going well.  They actually asked me to come back next year, so, great!  I'll have gainful employment, at the same place, for two years in a row.  That's probably going to break my record.  But I am SO looking forward to this summer, which I'll have off (the mom is a teacher, remember?)...just me, DH (when he's not working), and the kids.  Can't wait!

So speaking of the young ones, it's time to make lunch.  I must go.  But I am curious....is anyone still here?  Even if you're not the commenting type, just humor me this time.  Leave me a comment to let me know if anyone is still reading this or not!  Thanks!

18 comments:

  1. Blimey, that was a break and a half! Are you back back or just peeking in?

    Was learning crochet via video easy? It's something I'd love to do but just imagine its difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! No, I'm back back. :) YouTube is an awesome teacher. I picked a simple-looking pattern, and then looked up videos on each stitch in the pattern. It's surprisingly easy. That's how I learned to knit, too. If you want to crochet, I found it easy to start by doing a granny square.

      Delete
  2. I'm still here; actually I saw something you pinned the other day, and wondered (hoped!) if you were coming back someday. So glad you are.

    The bedroom looks great--I'd never have guessed any of it to be low-budget items.

    One last thing--I LOVED Book Thief. One of my top 5 ever, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Jessie! I'll point out the low-budget items in another post - you will fall OVER when you find out. It is one of my greatest yard sale triumphs to date. :)

      Delete
  3. I never take anything off my reader, so I'm here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still reading. Your room looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Pat! I'm glad you're still here. I missed you! Yours was one of the blogs that does not annoy me. Isn't that flattering? ;)

      Delete
  5. Love the bedroom! Low budget items....really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie! Oh yes, super low budget. You will not believe it. ;)

      Delete
  6. That bedspread! LOVE :) Welcome back to blogland, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back, Rach! I'm looking forward to the laughs (and tips) your blog is always good for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rachel, I am still here. I love your bedroom! One of my fave colors is that green in your bedspread! OK, my guess on the low budget thing in the room.....hmmmm.....the headboard? Just thinking it might be a yard sale score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! Oh how I wish it was the headboard. :/

      Delete
  9. YAY! I'm so glad that you're back! I saw something you pinned on pinterest recently and thought, "I hope she starts blogging again!" Way to go on all of your recent accomplishments: the crocheting.... I'm impressed that you learned through a video. I feel like a really patient person is going to have to sit down with me for hours for me to learn, which I do want to do. Your reading goals.... I keep making resolutions to read more and make little progress. I would love to know what you're reading, so I'll follow you on goodreads. The bedroom looks great- LOVE that duvet cover/bedspread, and the wall color is fantastic. Way to go on the gym, especially as a working mom with lots on her plate! Okay I'll shut up now.... just know I'm super excited that you're back :)

    ReplyDelete