Friday, May 11, 2012

Oven Mitts, Revisited: My Sad, Sad Story

Wait till you hear THIS one!

This past March, just a few months ago, I got an email from someone regarding some oven mitts I'd made back in November.  Here they are:


The email said this:
Hi- I'm doing wardrobe for a commercial in LA shooting Monday for Zaxby's (it's a big chicken restaurant chain- sort of like Denny's maybe?).  The ad agency referenced your exact oven mitts from your blog.  Any way I can rent those or buy them from you?  I can paypal you money right away and give you a fedex number or however you prefer to do it.  They just have to be in the mail by Friday at the latest.  Please call me and we can talk, I'll be up by 10am EST.  thanks!!

At first I assumed this was some kind of scam.  (Why a criminal mastermind would want to steal someone's oven mitts, I don't know.)  But I checked out the lady's website, phone number, email, etc...and it seemed pretty legit.  Just not believable.  My specific oven mitts?...for a commercial...this had to be wrong.  YET I found myself calling the number at the bottom of the email.  Sure enough, the woman on the other end of the phone was the real deal, and I think she was just as surprised to hear from me as I had been to hear from her!  She kept saying, "They are not going to believe it when I walk in there with the actual oven mitts they wanted." 

Flattering, you say?  Read on.

She told me the Chris Kattan would be wearing them in a Zaxby's commercial.   I felt like such a rock star.  My oven mitts found their way from my dinky little western PA sewing "space" - not even a whole room, mind you - to glamorous L.A., where a famous person (OK Chris Kattan...but I'll take it!) was going to wear my Oven Mitts of Glory.

So, after getting a Paypal payment for postage AND an "oven mitt rental fee" (nice!), I stuck those things in a USPS overnight envelope, marched them down to the post office, and sent them on their way.

Have you already spotted the mistake?

Yeah.  I'm not particularly "anti-government," but I will tell you that I will NEVER AGAIN trust any government entity to deliver any more of my packages on time.  Long story short (and I will even spare you the details of my battle-royal with the supervisor at the post office), the mitts didn't get there on time.  They'd sent my package to the wrong zip code.  I just wanted to cry.  The fame, the glory, the chance to have a great story to tell....all gone!

And then a few weeks later, my sister called to tell me that she'd seen the commercial, and maybe I should be glad they didn't get there on time.

For your viewing pleasure:


D'OH!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! To the whole story! :) But that's a GREAT story to tell people! And way to actually get something of yours noticed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an even BETTER story that they didn't make it, considering they were referred to as "ridiculous." And BTW, I think your oven mitts are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard. Seriously, hard enough that my husband had to come over and see what I was watching/reading. He is laughing too. We've decided that they *must* have changed the script because they didn't get your mitts on time--no way yours would be considered "ridiculous." Hahahaha, so funny.

    For what it's worth, I also think yours are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too much! It's kinda like a funny dream.... And I agree, they are anything but ridiculous! You showed them! This is a good "2 truths and a lie" truth :)

    ReplyDelete