Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tray Makeover

Oh, goodie.  Just what the creative blog world needs, another tray makeover.  Right?

But this one's a little bit different!  Really!

I found this tray...
...aaaaaand I thought it was kind of ugly.  But it was .99.

I was just going to spraypaint it the standard off-white, as a part of my recent spraypainting rampage.  But down in the dark, dank depths of my basement, I found this kind of gold/champagne spraypaint that I used once on some Christmas balls-gone-wrong last year.  And I thought, hey.  Let's live on the wild side today.  So on went the champagne.

I didn't think it possible to make this tray look even stuffier than it originally did...but, well...
barf.
Well, thanks to one of YOU (and you know who you are because you're DH's cousin! :), I laid my eyes on this awesome tray makeover project, and was inspired.

I do love the bottle caps, but I didn't have any on hand.  And if I haven't mentioned it before, I'm also on a "use what you have" kind of kick right now.

Well, DH just so happens to work at The Happiest Place on Earth.  (that's Starbucks, people.)  And one thing I have plenty of on hand is...

can you tell what that is?
: - )
Some finagling of the cards, a little spray adhesive, and within about 30 minutes, I had the "tray of the sticky fingers."  

And lest you have any false ideas me as a hostess based on this picture, I bought that sugar bowl & creamer like 2 years ago, and have used them together to actually serve coffee, like, once.  I mean really, who pours cream into a pitcher?  I think I did when I had Thanksgiving at my house.

The spoons, we use pretty much every day though.

And no, there was no money left on any of the cards.  I took all 25 to Sbux to make sure.  No, I didn't.

Linking to these great parties!

DIY under $5
Transformation Thursdaysouthern hospitality

7 comments:

  1. I love how this came out. I thought I loved coffee, but looks like you visit Starbucks a little more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pattern on the gift cards--so pretty! Thanks for including the link to the bottle cap try. I'm going to try making one of those for our new basement bar using some of the beer caps my husband has been saving forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic! I get even more excited when I use what I ALREADY have on hand too! This is very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you used gift cards! Super creative! Plus, yours are a lot prettier than any I have on hand. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked the bottle cap tray (my blog obsession does something other than waste time!). Yours turned out super cute too! Now I just need to get myself going:-) I even have a tray just waiting for me.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute and perfect for a summer project - could you post on my linky party? http://the4rsRamblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea! Very creative & inspiring! Thank you for sharing with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete